The United States of America has many benefit programs for individuals and families with low income. We are here to help guide you through each program. The Low-Income Assistance Programs that you are eligible for can include receiving medical insurance, a tax credit to help you or your family as you transition from welfare to work, or food stamps. In some cases, there are work support programs for families that have left the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program (TANF) due to a parent going to work. There have many cases where the family is still eligible for the work support programs. They help cover a range of assistance, including the Earned Income Tax Credit, food stamps, the State Children’s Health Insurance Program, and childcare assistance. Let’s discuss what all these programs cover, and these programs include but are not limited to:

  • Child Care and Development Fund – The program assists low-income families who need childcare due to work, work-related training, and/or attending school.
  • Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) – The program offers a federal income tax credit for low-income families and working individuals.
  • Food Stamp Program – The program benefits people with low-income; that way, they can buy food. This program’s recipients spend their benefits (in the form of debit cards or paper coupons) to buy authorized food in select retail food stores.
  • State Children’s Health Insurance Program (SCHIP)* – The SCHIP program provides health coverage to uninsured children whose families earn but too little to afford private coverage but too much to qualify for Medicaid. The program is a partnership between the State and Federal Governments as well. You must check with the SCHIP office in the state you live in to confirm your family’s eligibility to receive benefits.

*It is important to note that the name of this program can vary from state to state. Please contact the main Medicaid Hotline in your state and ask for the office that deals with children’s health insurance if you are unsure what local office to contact.