Wow! You finally got that smart phone that your kids and grandkids were begging you to upgrade to. Getting a new phone can be confusing, especially with all the applications that are available to download. The different phone brands, the touch-screen, talk to text—it’s all so confusing. Picking and choosing apps that are useful will help keep your phone storage free and help you navigate through technology with ease.
Here are our picks for the top five best apps to get you first foot forward with your new device.
- Uber and Lyft – These apps are for ride services and can be super beneficial if you don’t drive. Once you create an account, just enter your credit card number and you’re all set! There are also tons of codes online for free rides. This is a great way to get to the grocery store or to your doctor’s appointment if your car is in the shop.
- Skype and Facetime – If your grandkids or kids live far away, this app can help ease the feeling of missing them. You can interact with your loved ones no matter how far away they are by video chat. Remember, FaceTime is built only for iOS devices such as iPhones and iPads and is already installed. Skype requires an account (its free) and is downloadable on all devices.
- Medisafe and CareZone – These apps help you keep track of your medications, keeps a calendar of your doctor visits, health tasks and more. This medication list on CareZone is editable and can be easily changed so you can keep track of the medications and their dosage you take. This is great for doctor’s visits and ensuring you prescriptions are easily tracked and recorded in the event of an emergency.
- Google Maps and Apple Maps – These apps take away the work of carrying around a map or other GPS. Be aware, though that they do use a good amount of cellular data which can cause your cellular plan to be a little costly. Google maps is downloadable for iPhone and already installed on Android, while Apple maps is already installed on iOS devices, but not available for Android.
- Silver Surf – This app enlarges the navigation buttons and makes it easier to use. It also has an interactive text slider that can enlarge text by 200%.
Additionally, many Medicare Health Plan insurers, or carriers, have their own Medicare applications. You can track your prescriptions, benefit options, and medical history all on your phone. If you are unsure whether your Medicare Health Plan has an application you can download to your phone; contact a licensed insurance agent here! We will be happy to assist you with the assessment of your Medicare Health Plan at no-cost and no obligation.
Now, tell us: what is your favorite app to use? Let us know in the comments below!