Heart Health: Conversation Starters
Discussing healthy lifestyle changes with your family member or friend can be difficult. Use these tips to start a conversation about heart-healthy changes.
Always begin by saying that you care.
“I want you to live a long and healthy life.”
“I hope you’ll be around for a long time.”
“I want to help you make healthy changes so you can keep enjoying the things you love to do.”
Share the facts.
Let your loved one know how serious heart disease can be:
“Heart disease is the leading cause of death for both men and women in the nation.”
“Heart disease causes more deaths in the United States than all types of cancer combined.”
Say how to prevent heart disease.
Make it clear that taking these steps can immediately begin to improve their heart health:
- Quit smoking and stay away from second-hand smoke.
- Control your cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Limit drinking alcohol to no more than 1 drink per day for women and no more than 2 drinks per day for men.
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Choose fat-free or low-fat dairy product and limit saturated & trans fats, added sugars, and sodium.
- Set a goal for 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity every week.
- Losing 10 pounds can lower your risk of heart disease if you are overweight or obese.
Ask how you can help.
“What changes are the hardest for you to make? What can I do to support you?”
“How can we get healthy together?”
You can also recommend shopping together for healthy foods, then cook and enjoy a meal together. A good way to start every day is to meet for a fast walk. You can also help your loved one quit smoking by calling 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669.) Many Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans also offer assistance with tobacco cessation. To find out if you are enrolled in a plan that can help cover gym memberships or costs associated with tobacco cessation, contact Medicare Pathways for a no-cost plan review at 866-466-9118 now.
For more information on preventing heart disease, visit:
You can also contact Medicare Pathways and speak with a licensed sales agent to discuss your plan. Many Medicare Supplement Insurance Plans provide discounts for gym memberships and tobacco cessation classes.